There are many types of plants that are easy to graft. No wonder people who like gardening always apply plants like this, to make trees bear fruit in a fast time.
You should know that grafting plants is one way of cloning plants. Grafting is a plant breeding system with the system of taking the cambium, to make new seeds which will be planted back in a new place.
With the grafting system, the way fertilization works in plants can be said to be much faster. However, not all types of plants can apply the grafting system.
Ideally, plants that can be grafted are dicot plants with fairly good cambium. The characteristics of this plant are hard stems where the skin on the stems is easy to peel.
Here are plants that are easy to graft:
Avocado is a plant that is easy to graft. This is because the fruit whose scientific name is Persea Americana is included in the dicot plant group.
Native to Central America and Mexico, avocado is a type of fruit that can grow to 20 meters.
Except with the grafting system, avocado trees can also be planted using a generative system or applying the seeds.
This fruit is most often consumed by people who are on a diet program because it contains healthy fats for weight control.
Avocado Grafting System
- Prepare grafting tools, such as plastic, raffia ropes, knives, fertilizer, and soil
- Prepare quality avocado seeds
- Cut the avocado tree trunk using a circular technique on the upper and lower components
- Peel the bark components until clean as well as the cambium
- Prepare a plastic filled with soil that has been mixed with fertilizer, and re-compact it with soil
- Tie such a plastic thing to one of the cut tree trunks
- Make holes in the plastic-covered components for ventilation
- Water the plant twice a day with the right amount without overdoing it
- If after 3-4 months, the grafts start to add fibrous roots, move the avocado plant like that to another planting medium.
Furthermore, the plants that are easily grafted are durians. This yellow fruit and distinctive smell come from the Southeast Asia region, where the tree itself can grow up to 50 meters.
This fruit is useful for maintaining the digestive system, but it is not recommended for diabetics, especially if consumed in excess.
This is because durians are high in sugar, calories, and alcohol, which actually triggers an increase in blood uric acid levels.
Durian Grafting System
- Prepare equipment such as sharp knives, black plastic, cage fertilizer, soil, and raffia rope
- Select the parent tree to be grafted, the minimum age of the durian tree is two years with good fruit yields
- Perform durian grafting at the start of the rainy season (more recommended)
- Peel the bark of the durian tree with a length of 5-10 cm, until only the flesh of the branch remains
- Clean the dragonfly from dirt or mucus that sticks
- Dry the stems to dry to remove the cambium in such components
- After that, cover the meat of the branches by applying plastic mixed with soil and fertilizer
- Tie the plastic tightly on the branches and make a hole in some of the parts for air circulation
- Flush the graft sufficiently every day
- Wait 3 or 5 months to observe the shape of the graft roots
- After that, cut the grafted branches and transfer them to another planting medium
Not only avocados and durians, but the next easy plant to graft is also a mango. This sweet and sometimes sour, sweet-smelling fruit is also the most commonly grafted.
This system is due to the fact that mango trees are the easiest to find, where the grafting itself is relatively easy.
The benefits of mango for health are preventing anemia, nourishing the digestive system, maintaining heart and liver health, as well as improving skin beauty.
Mango Grafting System
- Prepare the implanted equipment as usual
- Peel the bark of the mango tree that will be grafted, each 5 cm long
- Scrape up and apply the knife until the cambium is not left on the mango stem
- If the trunk feels rough, leave the mango tree trunk doing so for the whole day
- After the stems dry out, tie such components with plastic or coconut fibers that have been filled with soil mixed with fertilizer
- Ventilate or circulate air on the components of the plastic wrap, by making holes
- Perform regular watering and wait for several months before transferring the grafted mango fruit to a new planting medium
4. Water Guava
Conceived as familiar in Indonesia, water guava is a plant that is easily grafted and originates from the Southeast Asia region.
Rujak processing system or eaten immediately, water guava is known to be quite useful, one of which is to maintain the digestive system as well as resolve diarrhea.
Guava generally has a tree height of up to 10 meters. This fruit is really suitable for cultivation in tropical climates, especially in areas with an altitude below 1,000 masl.
Guava Grafting System
- Prepare loose soil, cocopeat, cocofiber, compost, and dissolved vitamin B1
- Mix all ingredients until evenly distributed and add the vitamin B1 solution
- Select the stem to be grafted and cut out the component, so apply a sharp knife with two rusts, roughly 5 cm apart
- Peel the skin and scrape off the cambium components until dry
- Prepare black or transparent plastic, then wrap the guava to be grafted
- Before wrapping it in plastic, apply the red onion to the top part to make it easier for the roots to grow
- Wrap the water guava components to be grafted with plastic and soil
- Water regularly and wait up to 3 months, to transfer the grafts to the new planting medium
Another plant that is easily grafted is papaya. This vitamin-rich fruit comes from southern Mexico and South America.
The taste is sweet and full of benefits, making papaya a fruit that is widely consumed by Indonesians.
The system is not only the flesh of the fruit, the leaves on the papaya plant are also widely used as a medicinal mixture.
So, don’t be surprised if as a result this fruit plant is widely cultivated by farmers. Moreover, because of the easy way the grafts work.
Papaya Grafting System
- For how grafting works, choose a short papaya tree
- Trim the fruiting tips of the papaya plant to receive more branches when transplanting
- Cut the stem to be grafted from the circumference of the stem, then wedge it with a tooth stab so that the incision is loose
- Dry the incision for one day
- After that, put the graft media into a plastic bag filled with fertile soil
- The graft media that has been in the plastic bag are sliced vertically 10 cm
- The incision is then attached and pressed to the shadow that has been cut as well
- Then tie it tightly and make sure there is sufficient moisture in the graft media
- Wait up to 4 weeks before transferring the grafted media to the new planting site
Rambutan is a plant that is easy to graft, which as a result is really satisfying because it has a sweet taste and is immune to pests.
Rambutan Grafting System
- Choosing rambutan tree seeds, ideally choose healthy broodstock with shiny green leaves
- Peel the bark of the rambutan kaprah-kaprah branch along 15 cm, and clean the cambium
- After the stems are clean and free of cambium, dry them for three days
- Rub the cut with onion to stimulate root growth
- Wrap the rambutan stem components to be grafted with coconut coir that has been covered with soil
- Wait for one month, then cut the branches if enough roots have appeared
- Enter it into a new planting medium, which is a pot filled with cage fertilizer
Finally, the type of plant that is easy to graft is guava. This fruit, which comes from Brazil, is rich in good health benefits. Starting from preventing cancer, preventing constipation, to increasing the body’s resistance.
Before grafting guava, you must first observe the quality of the fruit plant sires like this.
The system is to choose guava broodstock that has sturdy stems in healthy conditions and free from pests and diseases.
Guava Grafting System
- Prepare support equipment for grafting
- Choose a quality parent
- Peel the skin of the grafted component and clean the cambium
- Leave for 3 hours until the incision branches dry
- Apply ZPT to the roots of such components
- Tie transparent plastic that has been filled in the parts to be grafted
- Make a hole in each plastic so that the grafted plant has air circulation
- Regularly water the grafted components
- Wait for 3 months until the seeds are ready to be planted again